Saturday, September 3, 2011

Finally Have Something To Post About!

Yesterday (9-2-11) I decided that with the looming wedding, I would go fishing.  I decided on just relaxing and heading out to Lee Hall Reservoir in Newport News, VA to catch some panfish for the Pirates Of Lynnhaven Angler of the Year Tournament.  I paddled out in my canoe (yes, CANOE) to light to moderate winds on the lake.  After a little bit of blind casting and looking around I stumbled upon this little guy. 

A little bream equals ten points for the tournament and I'm happy with that for a start. 

Then after a little more blind casting, I decide that I'm not going to catch many more panfish and decide to start officially bass fishing.  I tie on th trusty spinnerbait to start looking for some fish to take my offering.  After a little casting on good looking spots, I came across the right tree fall right behind the wind and on my third cast in, I run into my first bass right at three pounds.

Obviously I am amped to see this fish as at this point I've never caught a Largemouth Bass over two and a half pounds.  After a little celebration and admiration I release the fish in good health and move out to find another fish.  I move to the next protected point and decide to cast at another tree fall just outside of the wind.  Six or seven casts in, I decide I'm just going to pull the spinnerbait out of the water and move again, thinking that there were no fish in this spot.  Three feet away from the canoe, half a second away from pulling the lure out of the water, I see the green monster trying to crush my lure.  I instantly stop the lure and watch the monster hammer the spinnerbait.  Considering I was not prepared to set the hook and fight the fish, I instantly jerked the rod and swung the fish at the canoe.  Luckily a 4 pound bass lands in my canoe as my spinnerbait flies over my head.

At this point, I'm completely eaten up with excitement and can't get over the idea that I've caught my two biggest bass to date in a little over thirty minutes.  I decide to fish a little bit longer and end up with one decent yellow perch to add to my tournament points.
Deciding that I've had enough fun for one day, I decide to head home to brag about my good few afternoon hours.

All in all, yesterday was an amazing day for me, and I couldn't be happier to have gotten a few minutes away to go out and catch some fish.


  1. Awesome! It's always a good day when you break your record, but it's even better when you break it twice!

  2. looks like you had a blast! Great blog, you got a new follower